Tue April 29, 2014
The Martin Brothers
The four Martin brothers were each influential in the city of Memphis in the early 20th century. In addition to their political activities and professions, they owned the Memphis Red Sox, as well as the stadium in which the team played.
The four Martin Brothers, W.S., J.B., A.T., and B.B., were remarkable men. Born in Mississippi in the 1880s, they moved to Memphis to attend LeMoyne.
The became important figures in medicine, politics, and sports. Two were doctors; two were pharmacists.
One, Dr. J.B. Martin, opened his own drug store in 1920. All were active in Republican politics.
The Martins owned the Memphis Red Sox, as well as the stadium in which the team played. They were the only African Americans in baseball to own both.
After a dispute with Boss Crump, J.B. moved to Chicago and later served as president of the Negro American League. The other brothers stayed in Memphis.
To learn more about our region's history, visit the Pink Palace Family of Museums.