THE CINEMA
7:30 am
Wed April 2, 2014

In Pictures: The Movie Palaces of Memphis

In his new book, "Memphis Movie Theatres," author and historian Vincent Astor has assembled a treasure trove of photos from our bygone entertainment landscape.

In this interview, Pierre Kimsey speaks with Astor about some of the more notable marquees that once lined Downtown streets. 

Here are some of them:

The tiny Optic theater on the right is just across from the Hotel Gayoso on South Main Street in 1907. The theater showed 5-cent moving pictures.
The tiny Optic theater on the right is just across from the Hotel Gayoso on South Main Street in 1907. The theater showed 5-cent moving pictures.
Credit MPLIC, Pink Palace Collection

The Palace, seen here in 1922, was among the major movie houses of Memphis which also included the Strand, the Majestic, the Orpheum, the Lyric, the Pantages and the Loew's Palace Theatres.
The Palace, seen here in 1922, was among the major movie houses of Memphis which also included the Strand, the Majestic, the Orpheum, the Lyric, the Pantages and the Loew's Palace Theatres.
Credit Shelby County Archives

Built in 1911, the Princess Theater was an ornate early movie palace on Main Street that seated more than 600 people and had a lighted facade.
Built in 1911, the Princess Theater was an ornate early movie palace on Main Street that seated more than 600 people and had a lighted facade.
Credit Courtesy of Richard Brashear