Sam Phillips, founder of the label Sun Records, didn't care much about making flawless recordings. Instead, the man who discovered Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Rich, Roy Orbison and a host of others rejected perfection in favor of spontaneity and individuality."Sam would say, 'I hate that word, perfection. It should be banned from the English language,'" music writer Peter Guralnick tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross. "He didn't care about the mistakes; he...
- Relatives Of Drowned Syrian Boy Will Move To Canada
- Doping Scandal Jeopardizes Olympic Dreams Of Russian Athletes
- Chicago Protesters Block High-End Stores, Demanding Inquiry Into Shooting
- High Chance That 2 Rooms Are Hidden Behind King Tut's Tomb, Egypt Says
- Planned Parenthood Shooting Suspect Robert Lewis Dear To Appear In Court Monday
Hear the radio version of this story.Tennessee’s refugees attracted hundreds of supporters to Legislative Plaza in Nashville on Monday night. It’s the same place where some lawmakers have called for a halt to refugee resettlements, but that idea drew boos from the crowd of about 300.
About 200 homeless and hungry Arkansans had a Thanksgiving meal Tuesday at Saint Mark’s Baptist Church in Little Rock.A church band played while guests ate Thanksgiving lunch.Volunteers handed out winter clothes."The survival kits consist of blankets, backpacks, sleeping bags for those who are out in the elements,hand warmers, gloves, hats and scarves," saidShayla McCullough, who works in outreach at the church.Bernard Baker says he came for the Thanksgiving meal. He said he’s retired, lives...